Uh oh. I think I’m in trouble as it’s been 25 days since I’ve written anything. My apologies for the radio silence from London – I wish I could say that I had a good reason for not writing! Yes, I know what you are all thinking. Jessica hasn’t written in so long because [__fill in the blank with glamorous excuse__].*
But the truth is, my life here recently really hasn’t been all that different from my life in Richmond. The same old routine: hanging out with friends, playing dodgeball, working, doing laundry, meeting some of the actors from the movie War Horse and ending up in an underground karaoke bar… Just the usual behavior!
I did get a chance to go up to Windsor for the day with my friend Pat and was amazed at the sheer size of the Queen’s castle. The fact that she has a dollhouse more expensive than my own just makes me feel bad about myself.
However, the most exciting thing that’s happened has been my entrance into the 2012 digital world. Yes, that’s right. I FINALLY got the UK iPhone. Now, for most people an iPhone means fun games, Words with Friends, a fancy keyboard, and 24/7 access to Facebook. But for me, the iPhone has changed my life and here’s why:
- I never have to get lost again. Gone are the days of googling my destination before I leave the house and taking a picture of it or drawing it out on the back of a napkin. I used to take my old iPhone with me (which had no service) and pop into a Starbucks for their free wifi whenever I got lost to figure out where I was and where I needed to go. Now I have a map, GPS, and Siri with me at all times. If I’m lost, my phone will tell me the nearest tube or bus station and will point me to the quickest way to take public transportation to wherever I want to go.
- Communication! We can text through iMessage or What’s App, chat with Skype at any point, send pictures, emails, Gchats, Facebook messages, etc. It’s a communication overload and I’m loving it. Please download What’s App or iMessage and talk to me?
Now that I’ve finally started to create some semblance of a normal life (which = iPhone), it’s time for my first real travel of 2012. I’m off to Berlin for the weekend and promise to be better about writing next time!
*Acceptable reasons include:
- I’m dating Prince Harry and have been hiding out from the paparazzi.
- I’ve made it my goal to win an Olympic medal and have been practicing my skills in Olympic handball, ping-pong, and ribbon dancing to win whatever medal I can.
- I’m REALLY against SOPA and blacked out my blog for 25 days to show Wikipedia what a real political stand-up means. The online world has been panicked without the literary wonders of James to Thames.